Where the doors never close and the learning never ends.
The first library at UTSI was located in lower C and most of upper C wings. It was consolidated into lower C as the MHD program expanded and needed upper C for additional office space. The Library moved to its present location in the early 1980’s when the construction of the new wing was completed.
Our collections and services have adjusted over the years to reflect changes in academic and research programs and also to benefit from the newer technologies. We have approximately 25,000 bound volumes, 50,000 government and industry hard copy reports (with an additional 214,000 in microform) and subscribe to around 125 journals. We have copies of theses that are written by UTSI graduates and a collection of notes from past short courses. Many journals are available in electronic form, and our faculty and students have access to the electronic journals, databases and other types of resources located at the UT Knoxville Library.
Our users’ needs are highly focused. Since we are not able to provide all that is needed from our collection, we rely heavily on outside sources. When possible, we borrow or obtain free copies of the needed references, but more frequently we buy copies from other library or organizations.
Because of our highly specialized collection, we are able to provide copies to other institutions. If needing material for your research or studies and we do not have that item as part of our Library, please feel free to request a book from another library.
Electronic Journals by Subjects
Graduate programs in aerospace engineering are available to students holding BS engineering degrees from ABET-accredited undergraduate programs or their foreign equivalents, which lead to the degrees of Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy with a major in Aerospace Engineering. Areas of particular academic and research emphasis include: air and space vehicles, flight mechanics, propulsion, fluid mechanics, gas dynamics, energy conversion, and structures. Study in each of these areas usually involves a combination of analysis, computer modeling, and experimental approaches. The primary goals of the program are to provide the student with a strong background in the aerospace sciences in an environment representative of current research and development activity.
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
- ACSWeb from the American Chemical Society
Provides information on the American Chemical Society products and services, books catalog, publications, special reports and membership.
- ASEE Clearinghouse for Engineering Education
Access general information, press releases, and classified advertisements, as well as information about ASEE membership, publications (including the Journal of Engineering Education and PRISM), fellowship programs, conferences, national award winners, and more.
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers Web
American Institute of Chemical Engineers Web promotes professional chemical engineering activities. Includes meeting call-for-papers, programs and abstracts, as well as, contact points, member services such as employment services, continuing educational courses, safety and research. Links are provided to divisions, local sections, student chapters, other AIChE related Internet resources.
- American Physical Society
- American Vacuum Society
The American Vacuum Society is a non-profit professional society dedicated to advancing the science and technology of films and coatings, microelectronics, nanostructures, surfaces and interfaces, plasmas, vacuum, and manufacturing processes.
- Engineering Foundation
Describes the The Engineering Foundation is dedicated to “the furtherance of research in science and engineering, and for the advancement … of the arts and sciences of engineering and the good of mankind.” Includes the Conferences Program/Calendar and a Grants Program which includes GRANTS FOR EXPLORATORY RESEARCH and GRANTS FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF ENGINEERING.
- Institution of Chemical Engineers
Institution of Chemical Engineers is an international body of chemical and process engineers based in Rugby, UK. Includes general information on IChemE, student information, and a journals and bulletins page.
- The Electrochemical Society, Inc.
The Electrochemical Society is an international educational, nonprofit organization concerned with a broad range of phenomena related to electrochemical and solid state science and technology.
- Chemical Engineering
This subject catalog lists information resources relevant to Chemical and Process Engineering.
- Periodic Table of the Elements
Databases, educational resources, glossaries, and more.
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)is the central research and development organization for the Department of Defense (DoD). It manages and directs selected basic and applied research and development projects for DoD, and pursues research and technology where risk and payoff are both very high and where success may provide dramatic advances for traditional military roles and missions.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE)
The IEEE is the world’s largest technical professional society. A non-profit organization, the IEEE promotes the development and application of electrotechnology and allied sciences for the benefit of humanity, the advancement of the profession, and the well-being of its members. Location: United States, New Jersey, New York.
- Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE)
Founded in 1871, the Institution of Electrical Engineers is the largest professional engineering society in Europe and has a worldwide membership of over 130,000. These men and women, who have joined together to promote the advancement of electrical, electronic and manufacturing science and engineering, range from students to the most distinguished and highly qualified members of the profession. The IEE is based at Savoy Place, London, UK.
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering Society
icesociety.org is a complete engineering portal having sections like Career(to post and apply for jobs for free), Directory (similar to yellow pages), Downloads (for sharing free engineering related ebooks and softwares), News, Books, Forums (to share knowledge with fellow engineers), Links database and many more.
- National Industrial Information Infrastructure Protocols (NIIIP) Consortium
The NIIIP Consortium is a team of organizations that has entered into a cooperative development agreement with the U.S. Government to develop open industry software protocols that will make it possible for manufacturers and their suppliers to effectively interoperate as if they were part of the same enterprise, even though many of these interactions are unscheduled and occur between both sophisticated and relatively unsophisticated users who utilize a wide range of computer systems, operating environments, and business processes.
- SIGDA: the ACM Special Interest Group on Design Automation
SIGDA is the ACM technical society for Design Automation professionals, involved in the application of the computer to all phases of electrical and electronic design. It sponsors DAC (Design Automation Conference) and other leading conferences and workshops as well as many other useful and innovative projects.
- The EEEL at NIST
The Electronics and Electrical Engineering Laboratory (EEEL) at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) [USA].
- VTT Electronics
(Research and Development Services) VTT Electronics is one of the nine research institutes of VTT, the Technical Research Centre of Finland. VTT Electronics is a highly specialized R&D unit, offering services to all manufacturers of products containing electronic parts. Its services are made use of by the electronics, telecommunications, process automation, mechanical engineering, and instrumentation industries. VTT Electronics has four research fields: Electronic Materials and Components, Electronic Circuits and Systems, Embedded Software, and Optoelectronics.
- AVEL: Australasian Virtual Engineering Library
AVEL is a single Web-based focal point for access to engineering information resources of all kinds. The gateway provides access to Internet information such as electronic engineering publications and databases, research projects, data sources, software, online teaching modules, directories, conferences etc. In addition, the gateway provides links, through library catalogues and document delivery services, to print information.
- Digitallab-EE Tutorial & Directory
Digitallab is collection of Electrical and Electronics Engineering Resources, tutorial, directory, and glossary.
- EE Times Network
Network of websites on semiconductor industry, electronic design tools and methodologies, data communications, analog and mixed/signal technology, career as engineer or manager, and EE Times newspaper.
- Electrical Engineering page on EINet Galaxy
EINet Galaxy is a guide to world-wide information and services.
- ElectronicsWeb – Information resource for the Electronic Engineering industry
Resource for professionals in the electronic design industry- Information on OEM electronics, electronic design, integrated circuits, digital signal processors, etc.
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
- American Society for Engineering Management
ASEM exists to assist its members in developing and improving their skills as practicing managers of engineering and technology and to promote the profession of engineering management.
- Canadian Society for Engineering Management
The Canadian Society for Engineering Management (CSEM) had its beginnings as the General Membership of the Engineering Institute of Canada (EIC) representing those engineers who had no affiliation with the either civil, mechanical, electrical or geotechnical societies.
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation-Provides latest research on Commercialization of Intellectual Properties.
- Institute of Industrial Engineers–General site for research and service in Industrial Engineering
- Engineering Management Handbook-Provides engineering management practitioners, researchers, policy makers, and analysts with a singular, easy-to-navigate web site through which continuously updated, peer reviewed information and tools can be readily accessed and easily utilized. It also provides a medium through which users, subject matter contributors, and subject matter experts can communicate on items of mutual interest.
- Engineering Magazine
Engineering magazine is a monthly UK print publication by Gillard Welch Limited. It is aimed at innovators in technology, manufacturing and management.
- Ideas @ work – web sites for managers
This site is compiled by the editors of Harvard Management Update and is aimed at managers seeking information on many topics including benchmarking, leadership, human resources, finance and consulting.
- Journal of Industrial Technology (Free Online Journal)
NAIT’s on-line peer-refereed scholarly journal. The JIT publishes peer-refereed scholarly and research articles, along with non-refereed informational articles, of interest to Industrial Technology and other Technology Management-oriented students and professionals in both industry and academia.
- New Zealand management and industrial relations
Te Puna web directory of New Zealand management sites
- Quality Magazine (Free Online Journal)
A monthly publication for manufacturing professionals with articles on quality assurance and process improvement
- Efunda (formulas, constants, properties)
A handy source for formulas and constants with information pertaining to materials properties, processes and design. Design content includes calculations for beams, stress transforms, and principle stress. The content leans towards mechanical but is useful to all engineering disciplines.
- EEVL – Engineering Section
Provides links in Engineering, Mathematics and Computing. EEVL (Enhanced and Evaluated Virtual Library) is maintained by a team of information specialists from a number of universities and institutions in the UK.
- GrayLIT Network
Provides access to technical reports from the Dept. of Energy, Dept. of Defense, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). GrayLIT Network is the world’s most comprehensive portal to Federal “gray literature.”
Consists of “a searchable database of material data sheets, including property information on thermoplastic and thermoset polymers such as ABS, nylon, polycarbonate, polyester, polyethylene and polypropylene; metals such as aluminum, cobalt, copper, lead, magnesium, nickel, steel, superalloys, titanium and zinc alloys; ceramics; plus semiconductors, fibers, and other engineering materials”.
- National Academies Press
Engineering and technology books that can be read online FREE!
- NASA Technical Reports Server (NTRS)
Provides technical information from NASA, including research reports, journal articles, conference and meeting papers, technical videos, mission-related operational documents, and preliminary data. NTRS also collects scientific and technical information from sites external to NASA to broaden the scope of information available to users. These external sites include the Aeronautical Research Council (UK), the arXiv Physics e-Print Server, Biomed Central and the Energy Citation Database.
- OSTI e-Prints
Facilitates access to and use of scientific and technical e-prints on a wide range of research activities of interest to the Department of Energy.
- Engineering Libraries on the Web
- Engineering Jobs
- Periodic Table of the Elements
- Unit Conversion Tool
- Acronym Finder
- dictionary.com — guide to reference materials on the Internet: Bartlett, Roget, Strunk, Webster, etc.
- Engineers Site
EngineersSite is an engineering community site, covering all engineering disciplines, with an international outlook. The site includes recruitment, news and events.
- EngNet – Global Engineering Directory and Search Engine
Directory of world-wide links to engineering services and products, organized under different categories, as well as alphabetic listing.
- EngPlanet Electronic Design Engineer Links
Engineering Links, Technology news, Tech humor, component searches.
- GovEngine.com — federal, state and local government sites on the Web
- GPO Databases via UT Gateway
- Grammar and Style Guide
- Index Translationum — International Bibliography of Translations (UNESCO)
- INFOMINE — Scholarly Internet Resource Collections
- Internet Public Library
- Librarian’s Index to the Internet
- The Library of Congress
- Majstro — Multilingual Translation Dictionary
A web guide to measurements and the devices used to perform them, organized by type along with information on related technology, practices and resources.
- The New York Public Library
- OneLook Dictionaries — simultaneous search of Internet dictionaries
- Statistical Abstract of the United States
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers
- Translating Dictionaries
- WWWebster Dictionary — from Merriam-Webster
- WWW Virtual Library
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
- Advanced Materials & Processes Technology Information Analysis Center, U.S. Department of Defense (AMPTIAC)
The DoD Center of Excellence responsible for acquiring, archiving, analyzing, synthesizing, and disseminating scientific and technical information related to advanced materials, manufacturing, and testing (AMMT).
- ASM International: The Materials Information Society
The premiere resource for information and networking for materials engineers, scientists, researchers, teachers, and students. ASM’s mission is to benefit the materials community by providing scientific, engineering and technical knowledge, education, networking and professional development.
- Center for Functional Nanomaterials, Brookhaven National Laboratory
Provides state-of-the-art capabilities for the fabrication and study of nanoscale materials, with an emphasis on atomic-level tailoring to achieve desired properties and functions.
- International Association of Nanotechnology
A non-profit organization with the goals to foster scientific research and business development in the areas of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology for the benefit of society.
- Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society. Provides a brief introduction and history of MSE, as well as career information.
- Materials Science and Engineering Laboratory
Conducts research in materials science areas of interest to NIST.
- Network for Computational Nanotechnology
Has a mission to connect theory, experiment, and computation in a way that makes a difference to the future of nanotechnology.
- Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering (SAMPE)
An international professional member society, provides information on new materials and processing technologies through chapter technical presentations, two journal publications, symposia and commercial expositions in which professionals can exchange ideas and air their views.
- A+ Materials Science and Engineering Glossary of Terms
The AZoM (A to Z of Materials) website contains a large collection of information based on the Internet. Information is located in a directory of information (Materials, Applications, Jobs, etc.); a searchable database of websites of materials research organizations, suppliers, and publications; and, a searchable database of materials data (from NIST). There is also a news briefs section.
- BUBL: Materials science
Collection of links to websites with materials science and engineering information.
- Materials Digital Library
This resource is part of the NSF’s National Science Digital Library (NSDL) program. It contains a number of article and fact databases related to various materials science topics. Many of the individual databases are listed in the appropriate sections of this guide.
- Materials Science Resources on the Web
Materials science web sites. Maintained by Iowa State University
A searchable database of material data sheets, including property information on thermoplastic and thermoset polymers.
- Materials Research Center at The University of Chicago
Addresses fundamental scientific problems of technological significance which require an approach that transcends traditional disciplines.
A website to bring together instructional materials on nanotechnology for colleges and universities. It is part of the National Science Foundation’s sponsored Network for Computational Nanotechnology.
- Physics Reference Data NIST
- Rensselaer Institute of Technology Nanotechnology Center
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
- American Mathematical Society (AMS)
Provides programs and services that promote mathematical research and its uses, strengthens mathematical education, and fosters awareness and appreciation of mathematics and its connections to other disciplines and to everyday life.
- Mathematical Association of American (MAA) Provides a forum for educators, students, professionals, and math enthusiasts to share ideas, keep abreast of developments in the mathematical community, enhance their careers, and make new friends.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics The public voice of mathematics education, providing vision, leadership and professional development to support teachers in ensuring equitable mathematics learning of the highest quality for all students.
- Societies, Associations, and Organizations
Wide assortment of mathematics-related groups.
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
Ensures the strongest interactions between mathematics and other scientific and technological communities through membership activities, publication of journals and books, and conferences.
Open access to 420,900+ e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science and Quantitative Biology (maintained at Cornell University)
- Doing Physics with Quaternions
A research effort to see how much of standard physics can be done using only quaternions, a 4-dimensional division algebra.
- Euler Number
Explanations and examples of Euler numbers, also called the secant numbers or zig numbers.
- Introduction to Quaternions
Discovery and elementary properties of the `hyper-complex’ numbers.
- Introduction to Wavelets
An introduction to wavelets by Amara Graps.
- MATLAB Tensor Toolbox Version 2.2 (released Jan. 10, 2007)
Provides the following classes for manipulating dense, sparse, and structured tensors using MATLAB’s object-oriented features: tensor, sptensor, tenmat, sptenmat, ttensor, and ktensor.
- NA Digest
A collection of articles on topics related to numerical analysis and those who practice it.
- Topics in Mathematics
A listing of mathematical resources
- Wavelet Digest
This site offers several services intended to foster the exchange of knowledge and viewpoints related to theory and applications of wavelets.
- Wolfram MathWorld
Extensive mathematical resource, provided as a free service to the world’s mathematics and internet communities as part of a commitment to education and educational outreach by Wolfram Research, makers of Mathematica
- Yahoo Directory of Mathematics
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
Promotes the art, science & practice of mechanical & multidisciplinary engineering and allied sciences around the globe.
- Fluid Power Society
An international organization for fluid power and related motion control professionals.
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME)
Dedicated to bringing people and information together to advance manufacturing knowledge.
- von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
A non-profit international educational and scientific organization, hosting three departments (aeronautics and aerospace, environmental and applied fluid dynamics, and turbomachinery). It provides post-graduate education in fluid dynamics and encourages “training in research through research”.
- A Heat Transfer Textbook
Access to the 3rd edition of this introduction to heat and mass transfer oriented toward engineering students is available at this site. The full text of the book may be downloaded free of charge following registration. Revisions are posted regularly.
- Computational Fluid Dynamic Resources Online
Aims to provide an overview of the vast resources of electronic information available to those working in computational fluid dynamics. Details are given of academic institutions, companies and organizations. A database of CFD related projects is available, along with a database of people working with CFD. Special topics addressed include: turbulence; multigrid methods; mesh generation; adaptive mesh refinement; discretization schemes; solution of linear systems; finite element methods; and parallel computers.
- e-Power and Propulsion
A speciality web portal designed to serve as a free one-stop web information resource for anyone working in the areas of propulsion, power, and combustion research, education and directly related topics. Contains news, useful tools for students and professionals, a research funding news database, links to useful sites, journals and magazines as well as an image gallery.
Provides free resources for Fluid Dynamics and Flow Engineering
- eFunda: Engineering Fundamentals
Online publisher for original engineering content and software. They offer over 30,000 pages of engineering fundamentals and calculators.
Flownet from Engineering Design System Technology in San Jose, California, is a Microsoft Windows-based computer-aided engineering (CAE) program for calculating fluid flow in a piping loop or network, handling incompressible Newtonian single phase or vapor-liquid two-phase flows.
- Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulic and Environmental Engineering : Dr. Hubert Chanson’s Gallery of Photographs
More than 900 fully documented photographs of structures and phenomena in the fields of fluid mechanics, hydraulic and environmental engineering are available here in JPEG format, provided by the Reader in Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Water Engineering at the University of Queensland, Australia.
- Fluid Power Journal
The official publication of the Fluid Power Society, which is an international organization for fluid power and related motion control professionals.
- Fluid Power Net International
A worldwide network of fluid power research laboratories. Its objective is to develop close research co-operation between member laboratories and industry and provide research facilities worldwide.
- JET Impingement Database
The JET Impingement Database is a bibliographic database of over 1500 abstracts from journals, theses, proceedings and papers. It covers jet-impingement phenomena and engineering applications for the transfer of energy and mass by evaporation or sublimation by the action of a single-phase fluid on a solid surface. Publications included are in English or are those translated into English. It is updated on a regular basis.
- Top Ten Links for Mechanical Engineering
Provides listing of top ten favorite mechanical engineering sites according to TenLinks, Inc.
- Virtual Album of Fluid Motion
The virtual album of fluid motion is both a simulation and visualization project for the numerical study of stationary and nonstationary flows in two and three space dimensions. It is based on the flow solver FEATFLOW 1.1 and AVS 5.0 software from the FEAST Group in the Mathematics Department at the University of Dortmund.
- Wind Tunnels of NASA
Although wind tunnels are among the most important tools of aeronautical research, this book suggests that these facilities have remained the least understood. This may be partly because the instrumentation and calibration are complicated and difficult to understand and partly because the researchers that use wind tunnels too often speak in language intended for their peers and invented for their particular disciplines. Whatever the reason, this book (NASA SP-440) aims to bridge the gap between engineer and layman.
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
- ANSI — American National Standards Institute
- National Information Standards Organization(NISO) — standards for information management
- National Standards Systems Network (NSSN) – a Global Standards Network
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (full text since 1976, images since 1790)
- European Patent Office — Patent search via keyword, number or company (good images)
- Delphion.com — fee-based Patent search via keyword and number
ASSOCIATIONS and ORGANIZATIONS
- arXiv.org — preprint server for physics, mathematics, computer science and nonlinear sciences
- DOE Information Bridge — full-text DOE reports on your desktop
- EEVL — the Internet Guide to Engineering, Mathematics and Computing.
- EnergyFiles — virtual library of energy science and technology
- Ei Village — Engineering Information Inc.
- The WWW Virtual Library: Engineering
- GrayLIT Network — science portal of technical reports
- ICE — Internet Connection for Engineering
- Linda Hall Library — independent research library of science, engineering, and technology
- NTRS — NASA Technical Report Server
- Scirus — search engine for scientists from Elsevier Science
- SPIN Web — Searchable Physics Information Notices from AIP (UTSI only)
- Technology Review from MIT
- Virtual Technical Reports Center
The Library is managed Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., but the Library doors remain open 24 hours a day for the convenience of Library users.