Dr. Christopher Combs
Phone: (931) 393-7373
- 2010 – B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Evansville
- 2015 – Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin
- 2015-present – Research Assistant Professor at The University of Tennessee Space Institute
- 2014-2015 – Assistant Instructor, The University of Texas at Austin
- 2012-2014 – Visiting NSTRF Fellow, NASA Langley and NASA Ames
- 2010-2013 – Teaching Assistant, The University of Texas at Austin
- 2010-2015 – Graduate Research Assistant, The University of Texas at Austin
- Compressible Flows
- Laser-Based Measurement Techniques
- Flowfield Imaging
Select Publications and Conference Proceedings
- Combs, C. S., P. A. Kreth, J. D. Schmisseur, and E. L. Lash, “An Image-Based Analysis of Shock Wave-Boundary Layer Interaction Unsteadiness,” AIAA Journal, 2017.
- Combs, C. S., N. T. Clemens, P. M. Danehy, and S. M. Murman, “Heat Shield Ablation Visualized using Naphthalene Planar Laser-Induced Fluorescence,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 54, No. 2, 2017, pp. 476-494.
- Combs, C. S., B. J. Lochman, and N. T. Clemens, “Technique for Studying Ablation-Products Transport in Supersonic Boundary Layers by using PLIF of Naphthalene,” Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 57, No. 89, 2016, pp. 1-14.
- Combs, C. S. and N. T. Clemens, “Naphthalene Laser-Induced Fluorescence Measurements at Low Temperature and Pressure,” Applied Optics, Vol. 55, No. 13, 2016, pp. 3656-3669.
- Combs, C. S., N. T. Clemens, P. M. Danehy, B. Bathel, R. Parker, T. Wadhams, M. Holden, and B. Kirk, “Fluorescence Imaging of Reaction Control Jets and Backshell Aeroheating of Orion Capsule,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 52, 2015, pp. 243-252.
- Guo, X., H. Zhao, H. Song, E. Zhang, C. S. Combs, N. T. Clemens, X. Chen, K. K. Li, Y. K. Zou, and Hua Jiang, “Upconverting Phosphor Thermometry for High Temperature Sensing Applications,” Sensors & Transducers, Vol. 13, 2011, pp. 124-130.