Dr. Steve Brooks
Phone: (931) 393-7413
Fax: (931) 393-7533
- 1987, B.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland
- 1992, M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Maryland
- 1995, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering (Fluid Mech.), The Catholic University of America
- 2013-Present, Associate Professor, Dept. of Mechanical, Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering. The University of Tennessee Space Institute
- 2009-Present, Adjunct Faculty, University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science
- 1997 – 2013, Atmospheric Scientist, Oak Ridge Associated Universities, assigned to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Admin., Atmospheric Turbulence and Diffusion Division, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- 2004-2006 Adjunct Assistant Professor, Univ. of Alabama, College of Engineering
- 1995-1997, National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, NOAA, Atmospheric Turbulence and Diffusion Division, Oak Ridge, Tennessee
- 1993-1995, Lecturer, The Catholic University of America, School of Engineering, Washington, D.C
- Atmospheric Chemistry and Transport
- Air-Surface Exchange
- Turbulent Flows
- US Antarctic Service Medal
- US Navy Arctic Service Ribbon
- Introduction to Engineering
- Applied Mathematics for Engineers
- Air-Surface Exchange: Measurements and Methods
- Brooks, SB., Arimoto, R., Lindberg, S., and Southworth, G., 2008. Antarctic polar plateau snow surface conversion of deposited oxidized mercury to gaseous elemental mercury with fractional long-term burial, Atmospheric Environment vol. 42, no. 12, 2877-2884.
- Brooks, SB, TL Crawford and WC Oechel 1997. Measurement of carbon dioxide emissions plumes from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska oil fields. Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry 27: 197-207.
- Brooks, SB, EJ Dumas and J. Verfaillie 2001. Development of the Sky Arrow Surface/Atmosphere Flux Aircraft for Global Ecosystem Research, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics AIAA 2001-0544, International Aerospace Abstracts, August 2001.
- Brooks, SB and S. Hastings, 2001. Airborne springtime IOP measurements of radiative exchange and albedos in the Barrow, Alaska region and comparisons to growing season results. Journal of Geophysical Research 106(D14) 15357 – 15361.
- Brooks, SB, MJ Lewis and RR Dickerson 1993. Nitric Oxide emissions from the high-temperature viscous boundary layers of high speed aircraft in the stratosphere. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 16755-16760
- Brooks, SB., Lindberg, S., Southworth, G., and Arimoto, R., 2008. Springtime atmospheric mercury speciation in the McMurdo, Antarctica coastal region. Atmospheric Environment vol. 42, no. 12, 2885-2893.
- Brooks, SB, S. E. Lindberg, J. Pacyna, J. Christensen, A. Gusev, K. Puckett, O. Travnikov, S. Wilson, V. Gordeev, R. Macdonald, and S. Marcy Chapter 3 – Transport Pathways and Processes Leading to Environmental Exposure. In AMAP, 2004. AMAP Assessment 2002: Pathways, Trends and Effects of Heavy Metals in the Arctic. Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), Oslo, Norway.
(See above)Chapter 7 Conclusions and Recommendations
- Brooks, SB, Winston Luke, Mark Cohen, Paul Kelly, Bernhard Rappenglueck, and Barry Lefer (2010). Mercury species measured atop the Moody Tower TRAMP site, Houston, Texas, Atmospheric Environment vol. 44, no. 33, 4045-4055.
- Brooks, SB, C. Moore, D. Lew, B. Lefer, G. Huey, and D. Tanner (2011). Temperature and sunlight controls of mercury oxidation and deposition atop the Greenland Ice Sheet. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11, 8295-8306.
- Brooks, SB, Saiz-Lopez, A, Skov, H, Lindberg, SE.; Plane, JMC, and Goodsite, ME (2006) The mass balance of mercury in the springtime arctic environment, Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 33, No. 13, 13 July 2006.
- Brooks, SB and A. Tozeren 1996. Flow past an array of cells that are adherent to the bottom plate of a flow channel. Computers and Fluids 25:741-757.