Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Participation in the departmental seminar program.
- Meet all departmental examination requirements, which include passing a written and oral comprehensive examination.
- Presentation of a dissertation proposal to the student’s advisory committee and approval of that proposal by that committee.
- Successful defense of the dissertation.
Mechanical of Aerospace Engineering Ph.D.
In mechanical engineering or aerospace engineering, the courses must include:
- A minimum of 12 semester hours of graduate credit in mathematics courses numbered 400 or above with a minimum of 6 semester hours numbered 500 or above.
- A minimum of 24 semester hours in the department in courses numbered 500 and above, with at least 12 semester hours in the major. A minimum of 9 semester hours is required at the 600 level. These are exclusive of thesis, problems, or dissertation credit. The student’s advisory committee can approve a student’s petition to replace one 600-level course with one or more 500-level course(s) that are more appropriate.
Engineering Science Ph.D.
In engineering science, the courses must include:
- A minimum of 24 semester hours in engineering graduate courses, exclusive of thesis and dissertation credit. These courses will normally be numbered 500 and above, with at least 9 semester hours of 600- level courses, which constitute one or two areas of concentration selected by the student. The number of courses in this group to be taken will depend on the program selected by the student and the approval of his/her advisory committee.
- A minimum of 12 semester hours in mathematics or computer science in courses numbered 400 and above, exclusive of a first course in ordinary differential equations.