THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE
HUMAN RESOURCES PROCEDURE
Subject: Title Lists
Revision (4): 07/01/2015
1. University Job Title List
This is the official list of all job titles for the university. Human Resources is responsible for assigning a title to each position. The list is available in the Human Resources-Compensation website under Job Families (http://hr.utk.edu/compensation.shtml). The following terms are associated with the job title list.
1. Job Family – This is the broadest of the terms and consists of various jobs involving work of the same nature but requiring different levels of skill and responsibility.
2. Job Title – Describes in a general way a group of similar positions at the same level.
3. Pay Grade – Pay grade defines the point in the hierarchy where the job fits. Refer to Policy/Procedure No. HRO430 Job Classification.
2. Adding, Changing, and Deleting Job Titles
A campus or institute may make a proposal to add, change, or delete a job title, working with Human Resources-Compensation. A committee of representatives from each campus/institute will review the proposal and make a determination. The job title list will be updated to reflect any approved changes.