Research and Development Plans
- UTSI has established the spin lab to produce fibers and further developed various related technologies
- Develop commercially viable heat treatment
- Develop various forms of carbon fibers
- Develop different carbon fiber composites
- Support academic programs as much as possible
- Form a consortium of interested universities, labs and industrial partners to help accomplish the above goals
- Support commercial development of low cost carbon fibers.
- Design of new approaches to aligned spinning
- Develop various forms of isotropic pitch fibers
- Extend the applications of carbon fibers in thermal managements
We believe that long term success of our carbon fiber program at UTSI hinges on a commercial partner to help support R&D efforts and to develop commercial products.
This may be accomplished through: cultivating commercial funding means not available to UTSI (or academic institutions).
Selected interested parties teaming with UTRF appears to be a viable forum for a commercial enterprise.