As part of the University of Tennessee Graduate School, UTSI offers select degree programs that take advantage of our unique concentration of faculty, research staff, and facilities.
Become a Volunteer
Learn more about UTSI
- Bachelor’s Degree from an ABET accredited engineering undergraduate program, or a bachelor’s degree in another technical curriculum which will satisfy the admission requirements.
- Overall GPA of at least 2.7 of a possible 4.0, or 3.0 of 4.0 during the senior year of undergraduate program. In the case of undergraduate GPA problems, students may be admitted on probation.
- Recommended minimum two years of industrial experience as a practicing engineer or scientist, or current full time employment in an engineering or applied science position.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Submit official TOEFL scores directly from ETS to the University of Tennessee OR submit official IELTS scores directly from the IELTS administrator to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- International students enrolling with Visa types F and J must meet specific deadlines for application completion.
Any student who has previously enrolled at UT, but who has not continued enrollment for at least one semester (excluding summer) or has withdrawn from the university, and wishes to re-enroll must complete and submit the Application for Readmission and pay the $30 readmission application fee.
Apply for admission
Complete the online UT Graduate School Application. In the drop-down Program menu on page 1 of the application, choose from the following options:
- Aerospace Engineering (Space Institute)
- Aerospace Engineering Applied Mechanics (Space Institute)
- Biomedical Engineering (Space Institute)
- Industrial and Systems Engineering: Engineering Management (Space Institute)
- Mechanical Engineering (Space Institute)
- Mechanical Engineering: Applied Mechanics (Space Institute)
- Mechanical Engineering: Thermal-Fluid Mechanics (Space Institute)
- Physics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Astrophysics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Atomic, Molecular, Optical and Low Temperature Physics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Biophysics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Chemical Physics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Condensed Matter and Surface Physics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Elementary Particle Physics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Energy Science and Engineering (Space Institute)
- Physics: Geophysics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Mathematical and Computational Physics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Nanomaterials (Space Institute)
- Physics: Nuclear and Relativistic Heavy Ion Physics (Space Institute)
- Physics: Theoretical Physics (Space Institute)
- $60 application fee must accompany application
- McNair Application Fee Waivers
- Official transcripts from each college/university attended (college code 1843)
- GRE general test report
Assistantships and Fellowships
If you would also like to apply for a research assistantship or fellowship please submit the following along with your application to graduate school:
- Application for Research Assistantship or Fellowship
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE general test report
- Title IX Sexual Harassment
For further assistance contact Charlene Hane in the Admissions Office.