Summer Research Intern Program
Make connections and gain valuable experience through our competitive paid undergraduate summer intern program.
Undergraduate interns are assigned to the supervision of one or more UTSI professors and given a long-term research project to complete over the 9-week summer course. At the end of their appointment, interns summarize their research in individual final reports and discuss their findings in short presentations. Some travel may be required. Additional educational opportunities are provided, including engineering seminars and a career panel discussion.
These internships are open to undergraduate students who are majoring in physics, chemistry, material science, computer science, mathematics, all branches of engineering, and related fields. Candidates must be 18 years of age or older. Candidates must have an interest in attending graduate school at UTSI. Candidates should also have enthusiasm for research, a desire to learn, and the ability to work well with others. Depending upon the fund source, U.S. citizenship may be a requirement. Selected candidates must be authorized and eligible for employment. Current U.S. federal immigration law requires identification and eligibility verification prior to employment. International students are responsible for applying for their own visa as may be required.
- 9 Week Summer Internship
- Application Deadline: Friday, February 10, 2023
- Position Type: Temporary, Part-time (75%)
- Salary: Total of $4,050 stipend ($15.00/hr x 30 hrs/wk x 9 wks)
- Location: UTSI campus in Tullahoma, Tennessee
- Starts On: June 5, 2023
- Ends On: August 4, 2023
Travel: Some travel to other facilities may be required.
Summer Research Interns participate in “real world” projects under the supervision of experienced researchers. The work interns perform is meaningful and contributes to the success of the institute. The program seeks to match interns with research projects that are of interest to them and will provide growth relating to their education and career goals.
There is limited availability for on-campus housing for summer research interns. Rooms in the beautifully situated lakeside dormitory, adjacent to picturesque Woods Reservoir, can be reserved on a first come, first served basis. Sharing of a room with a roommate may be required.
Upon offer and acceptance of the internship, information on the housing application process will be emailed to the candidate.
The Summer Research Intern Program is classified within the UT system as a part-time, student position. Interested applicants must submit an online application through the University of Tennessee’s Human Resources Job Opportunity portal. Please use the location: Tullahoma, Tennessee.
AN APPLICATION WILL BE CONSIDERED WHEN STEPS 1 THROUGH 4 ARE COMPLETED. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. THE LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION IS SUBMITTED BY EMAIL TO INTERN@UTSI.EDU AT A LATER DATE PER BELOW INSTRUCTIONS.
- Complete Online Application – Please use the location: Tullahoma, Tennessee – Search for “UTSI Summer Research Intern Program 2023” or keyword 22000002OH.
- Attach Resume to Online Application.
- Attach Academic Transcript to Online Application. An unofficial transcript is acceptable.
- Attach Completed Addendum to online application. Before filling out this form, please save it on your computer to ensure that changes are saved.
- Letter of Recommendation – Once the above steps are completed, the applicant must request a Letter of Recommendation from an individual who can state the following: assess your academic abilities, academic accomplishments and motivation, work habits, potential as a researcher, and your ability to participate in and benefit from a research internship program. This individual must then email the letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference the applicant’s name and include “Letter of Recommendation” in subject line – Example: Jane A. Student – Letter of Recommendation. The deadline for the Letter of Recommendation is February 10, 2023.
For best consideration, applications for the internship should be submitted by February 10, 2023. Applications received after this date will be reviewed if all slots have not been filled. Applicants may be interviewed. Successful applicants should be notified by March 31, 2023.
If questions, please contact the following:
Application-Employment inquiries – UTSI Human Resources, Equity & Diversity, and Compliance
Program inquiries – UTSI Summer Research Intern Coordinator: Meghan Morris
To learn more about the Summer Research Intern Program, please contact:
UTSI Human Resources Office