Summer Research Intern Program
Make connections and gain valuable experience through our competitive paid undergraduate summer intern program.
Undergraduate interns are assigned to the supervision of one or more UTSI professors and given a long-term research project to complete over the 9-week summer course. At the end of their appointment, interns summarize their research in individual final reports and discuss their findings in short presentations. Some travel may be required. Additional educational opportunities are provided, including engineering seminars and a career panel discussion.
Internships are open to undergraduate students (18+ years old) who are majoring in physics, chemistry, material science, computer science, mathematics, all branches of engineering, and related fields. This program is designed for students considering graduate research at UTSI. Depending upon the funding source, US citizenship may be a requirement. Candidates should also have enthusiasm for research, a desire to learn, and the ability to work well with others.
- Duration: 9 Weeks, beginning early June, ending early August
- Salary: $4,050 total over 9 weeks
- Location: UTSI campus in Tullahoma, Tennessee
- Application Deadline: early March
Summer Research Interns participate in “real world” projects under the supervision of experienced researchers. The work interns perform is meaningful and contributes to the success of the institute. The program seeks to match interns with research projects that are of interest to them and will provide growth relating to their education and career goals.
There is limited availability for on-campus housing for summer research interns. Rooms in the beautifully situated lakeside dormitory, adjacent to picturesque Woods Reservoir, can be reserved on a first come, first served basis. Sharing of a room with a roommate may be required.
Upon offer and acceptance of the internship, information on the housing application process will be emailed to the candidate.
The Summer Research Intern Program is classified within the UT system as a part-time, temporary position. Interested applicants must submit an online application through the University of Tennessee’s Human Resources Job Opportunity portal. Please use the location: Tullahoma, Tennessee
To apply, please complete ALL of the following steps:
- Complete online application
- Attach resumé to online application.
- Attach academic transcript to online application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Attach letters of recommendation to online application. Letters of recommendation may also be submitted via email directly to email@example.com. The applicant’s name and “Letter of Recommendation” must be included in the subject line – Example: Jane A. Student – Letter of Recommendation.
- Attach completed addendum to online application. Before filling out this form, please save it to your computer to ensure that changes are kept.
For best consideration, applications for the internship should be submitted by the first Friday in March. Applications received after this will be reviewed if all slots have not been filled.