Associate Professor & C-PARC Director
Dept. of Mechanical Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering
The University of Tennessee, Space Institute
411 B.H. Goethert Parkway, MS 21
Tullahoma, TN 37388
Office: (860) 987-3119
- Doctorate (PhD), Combustion, Ecole Centrale Paris (now CentraleSupelec), 2010.
- Master 2 Research Aeronautics and Space, Ecole Centrale Paris, 2007.
- Maitrise Mechanics, Université Paris XI (now University Paris-Saclay), Orsay, 2005.
- License Mechanics, Université Paris XI, Orsay, 2004.
- Diplôme Universitaire de Technologie Génie Mécanique et Productique, Rennes, 2002.
- Baccalauréat Générale Scientifique, Lycée Rousseau,1999.
- 2021-now: Associate Professor, MABE, UTSI, Tullahoma, TN, USA
- 2016-2021: Principal Scientist, Aerospace and Defense Department, CFDRC, AL, USA
- 2010-2016: Senior Research Scientist, Thermal & Fluid Sciences Dep., UTRC, CT, USA
- 2007-2010: Research Assistant, CNRS EM2C Laboratory, Châtenay-Malabry, France
- 2007-2010: Teaching Assistant, Ecole Centrale Paris, Châtenay-Malabry, France
Professional Affiliations and Honors
Organization of scientific meeting:
- AIAA SciTech Forum, Combustion Dynamics/Turb. Comb. Session Chair (2016 to now)
- APS Division of Fluid Dynamic, Turbulent Combustion Session-Chair (2018)
- AIAA Propulsion and Energy Forum, Session-Chair (2019 to 2021)
- Aeronautic and Aerospace Association of France: Challenges for hydrogen in aviation
- 2013-2017: Associate Member AIAA Propellants and Combustion Technical Committee
- 2017-now: Full Member AIAA Propellants and Combustion Technical Committee
- 2020-2023: Member of the US National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and AIAA Professional Representative. Propulsion and Energy Leadership Liaison role.
- 2020-2022: Membership Director for the AIAA Greater Huntsville Section.
Reviewing activities: Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, AIAA SciTech Conference, AIAA Propulsion and Energy Conference, ASME Turbo Expo IGTI, Combustion Science and Technology, International Journal of Spray and Combustion Dynamics, Combustion and Flame.
Memberships of scientific societies: Senior Member AIAA (active), APS Member, Combustion Institute Member (active), 3AF (active), ASME Member, ECP Alumni (active).
Award and Honors: Selected and nominated in 2020 by the University of Paris-Saclay and CentraleSupelec for The International Research Blaise Pascal Chair. Principal Investigator for AFRL (2017 to 2019) and NASA (2019) funded projects. Invited talks and papers.
Experience Related to this Project
Paul Palies is Associate Professor at UTSI and the founding director of the Combustion and Propulsion for Aviation Research Center (C-PARC) at UTSI. His research is in reacting fluid dynamics with specializations in aeronautical propulsion research and physics of premixed swirling flames. He developed an expertise in combustion dynamics applied to laboratory scale combustors and jet engines with a demonstrated experience in acoustics, combustion, and fluid dynamics. His published work has focused on understanding key physics and passive control strategies in this context as demonstrated by a patent, a book and nearly 50 publications. He graduated from Ecole Centrale Paris in aerospace and from University of Paris XI in mechanics-physics. He has broad-band fundamentals knowledge in sciences and engineering. He holds a doctorate in combustion from Ecole Centrale Paris. His doctoral thesis investigated combustion dynamics mechanism identification, prediction and passive control for swirl-stabilized flames with theoretical, experimental and numerical methods. He was senior research scientist at the research center of United Technologies Corporation developing passive control strategy and modeling capabilities to support NASA and Pratt and Whitney’s commercial combustors programs. He has managed as PI or lead several projects. He is establishing the C-PARC at UTSI to conduct research to develop technologies for premixed combustion enabling higher efficiency. One key goal of the C-PARC is to describe and demonstrate swirling flame stabilization for 100% hydrogen content under premixed combustion regime at scales ranging from laboratory to full jet engine conditions within the facilities available at UTSI and thus eliminating the emission of CO2.
- Dynamics of premixed confined swirling flames. P. Palies, D. Durox, T. Schuller and S. Candel. Comptes Rendus Mécanique, Vol.337, Issues 6-7, pp 395- 405. 2009.
- The combined dynamics of swirler and turbulent premixed swirling flames. P. Palies, D. Durox, T. Schuller and S. Candel. Combustion and Flame, Vol.157 (9), pp 1698-1717, 2010.
- Acoustic-convective mode conversion in an aerofoil cascade. P. Palies, D. Durox, T. Schuller and S. Candel. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.672, pp 545-56, 2011.
- Acoustically perturbed turbulent premixed swirling flame. P. Palies, D. Durox, T. Schuller, L.Y.M. Gicquel and S. Candel. Physics of Fluids, Vol.23 (037101), 2011.
- Nonlinear combustion instabilities analysis based on the Flame Describing Function applied to turbulent premixed swirling flames. P. Palies, D. Durox, T. Schuller and S. Candel. Combustion and Flame, Vol.158 (10), pp 1980-1991, 2011.
- Dynamic Mode Decomposition (DMD) Application to Premixed LSI Flames. P. Palies, R. Cheng, D. Davis and M. Ilak. APS 2015.
- Transient and limit cycle combustion dynamics analysis of turbulent premixed swirling flames. P. Palies, M. Ilak and R. Cheng. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.830, pp 681-707, 2017.
- Lean Fully Premixed Injection for Commercial Jet Engines: An Initial Design Study. Paul Palies, Ragini Acharya, Andreas Hoffie, Matthew Thomas. ASME Turbo Expo 2019: Turbomachinery Technical Conference and Exposition. GT2019-91653.
- Swirler-Induced Turbulence and Flame-Resolved Transient Simulation Applied to Blowoff Experiment. P. Palies and R. Acharya. Combustion and Flame. Vol 226, 2021.
- Book: Stabilization and Dynamic of Premixed Swirling Flames. Paul Palies, Elsevier Academic Press, 2020.