Dept. of Mechanical Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering
The University of Tennessee, Space Institute
411 B.H. Goethert Parkway, MS 21
Tullahoma, TN 37388
Office: (931) 393-7334
Fax: (931) 393-7557
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 1999
- M.S., Structural Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, 2001
- M.S., Mathematics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- Ph.D., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010 Thesis: Spacetime damage-based cohesive model for elastodynamic fracture with dynamic contact
- 2018-present, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering, University of Tennessee Space Institute
- 2012-2018, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering, University of Tennessee Space Institute
- 2010-2012, Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2002-2010, Research Assistant, Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Applied Mathematics
- Computational Mechanics
- Solid Mechanics
- Fracture Mechanics
- Interfacial Mechanics
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Mechanics of Energy Storage Materials
Honors and Awards
- Henry J. Langhaar graduate award in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2006
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society 2004-present
- Firdawsi Science Fellowship Award, University of Illinois 2004
- 8th place in the Fourth Nationwide Student Scientific Olympiad of Civil Engineering 2000
- 5th Place, National Entrance Exam for Graduate Programs in Civil Engineering 1999
- Abedi, R., Haber, R.B., “Spacetime dimensional analysis and self-similar solutions of linear elastodynamics and cohesive dynamic fracture”. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 48(13):2076 -2087, 2011.
- Abedi, R., Hawker, M.A., Matous, K., and Haber, R.B., “An adaptive spacetime discontinuous Galerkin method for cohesive damage models of elastodynamic fracture”, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 81(10):1207 – 1241, 2010.
- Abedi, R., Chung, S.H., Hawker, M.A., Palaniappan, J., and Haber, R.B., “Modeling Evolving Discontinuities with spacetime discontinuous Galerkin methods,” in Combescure, A., R. de Borst and T. Belytschko (eds.), IUTAM Bookseries, Vol. 5; IUTAM Symposium on Discretization Methods for Evolving Discontinuities, Springer, 2007.
- Abedi, R., Haber R.B., Thite S., and Erickson J., “An h–adaptive spacetime discontinuous Galerkin method for linearized elastodynamics”, Revue Européenne de Mécanique Numérique, special issue on adaptive analysis (ed.), 15(6):619 – 642, 2006 (Invited paper).
- Abedi, R., Petracovici B., and Haber R.B., “A spacetime discontinuous Galerkin method for linearized elastodynamics with element–wise momentum balance”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 195:3247 – 3273, 2006.
- Abedi, R., Chung, S.H., Erickson, J., Fan Y., Garland M., Guoy D., Haber R.B., Sullivan J., White S., and Zhou Y., “Space–time meshing with adaptive refinement and coarsening”, In Proceedings 20th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pages 300 – 309. ACM, June 9 – 11, 2004.