411 B. H. Goethert Parkway
Tullahoma, TN 37388
Cell phone: (530) 304-5154
Phone: (931) 393-7323
- M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, with a project in Particle Physics. Thesis title: “pd reactions atWASA”, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 2000
- Ph.D. in the Experimental Condensed Matter Physics, Department of Physics in the Ångströmlaboratory, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, December 9, 2005. Thesis title: “3dTransition Metals Studied by Mössbauer Spectroscopy”. Supervisors: Profs. Roger Wäpplingand Lennart Häggström. Download thesis.
- 2000-2001 – Uppsala University, Research Assistant at Dept. of Electron Spectroscopy for Chemical Analysis (ESCA). Supervisor: Nobel Laureate, Prof. Kai Siegbahn.
- 2001-2005 – Uppsala University, Dept. of Physics. (While a PhD Researcher)
- 2003-2005 – Member of the board at the Physics department, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
- 2006-2006 – Postdoctoral studies at the Division for Spintronics at The Royal Institute ofTechnology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2006-2007 – Lecturer at the Physics department, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
- 2007-2009 – Research member at the Research and Utilization Division at Japan SynchrotronRadiation Research Institute (JASRI), SPring8, Japan.
- 2009-2011 – Research member at the Department for Applied Science, University of CaliforniaDavis, and Physical Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley CA,USA
- 2011–present – Research member at the Department of Chemistry, University of California Davis, andPhysical Biosciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley CA, USA
I have been working with different growth, characteristic and measurement techniques, such as, sputtering, Electron Beam Evaporation, Molecular Beam Epitaxy, X-ray techniques, superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) magnetometry, Magneto Optics Kerr Effect (MOKE) and Mössbauer Spectroscopy. Due to my research at the synchrotron facilities during the last few years, I have been working with different synchrotron-based techniques such as Nuclear Resonant Scattering (NRS), Nuclear ResonantVibrational Spectroscopy (NRVS), Magnetic Compton Scattering (MCS), X-ray Magnetic CircularDichroism (XMCD), Extended X-ray Absorption Fine Structure (EXAFS), X-ray Emission Spectroscopy (XES) and X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy (XAS). My present research is primarily based in Biophysics with an emphasis on metallo-enzymes (e.g.results published on cover of Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 52 (2013) 724) and in nano-structured materials with a focus on nanoparticles, thin films and superlattices, and the applications of them in Spintronics.
- 2001 – Reconstruction of an Mössbauer laboratory at Physics department, with four spectrometers including a low temperature conversion electron Mössbauer spectrometer, which is almost unique in the world.
- 2007–2009 – Involved in design and development of high temperature measurements at the nuclear resonant spectroscopy beam line at SPring8.
- 2009–2010 – Constructing an Mössbauer laboratory, The West Coast Mössbauer Center, where I amthe manager, at the department of Chemistry at University of California. This lab has three spectrometers, including a low temperature one, with 9 Tesla magnetic field.
Conferences and Workshops
- 6th Patras University EuroConference on Properties of Condensed Matter Probed with X-Ray Scattering, Patras, Greece, September 2001.
- 5th Seeheim Workshop on Mössbauer Spectroscopy, Seeheim, Germany, May 2002.
- International Conference on Magnetism, Rome, Italy, July 2003 (Poster Presentation).
- International Conference on the Applications of the Mössbauer Effect, Muscat, Oman, September2003 (Poster Presentation).
- Atomically Controlled Surfaces, Interfaces & Nanostructures/ 13th International Congress on ThinFilms-ICTF-13, Stockholm, Sweden, June 20-23, 2005 (Poster Presentation).
- International Conference on the Applications of the Mössbauer Effect, Montpellier, France,September 5-9, 2005 (Poster Presentation).
- Eighteenth Annual Meeting of Organization for Users of Synchrotron Radiation, Max-lab, Lund,Sweden, September 28-29, 2005 (Poster Presentation).• First International Workshop on Nanomaterials, Kish Island, Iran, March 8-11, 2006 (Invited talk).
- International Conference on the Applications of the Mössbauer Effect, Kanpur, India, October 14-19, 2007 (Poster Presentation).
- Workshop on Mössbauer Spectroscopy and Synchrotron Radiation and their applications inMaterial Sciences, Tehran, Iran, April 14-15, 2008 (Invited talk).
- Workshop on X-ray and Neutron Techniques for Nano-Structural Research, SPring8, Japan, August21-23, 2008 (Poster Presentation).
- The 21st Congress of the International Union of Crystallography (IUCr2008), Osaka, Japan, August23-31, 2008 (Poster Presentation).
- 21st International Microprocesses and Nanotechnology Conference (MNC2008), Fukuoka, Japan, October 27-30, 2008 (Poster Presentation).
- Innovation and Technological advancements in Industry and Mining, Tehran, Iran, January 12-15,2009 (Invited talk)
- Workshop on The synchrotron based techniques and their applications in Nanotechnology, Tehran,Iran, January 13, 2009 (Invited talk).
- American Chemistry Society, Spring meeting 2010, San Francisco, USA, March 21-25, 2010 (OralPresentation).
- Forth Seeheim Conference on Magnetism, Frankfurt, Germany, March 28-April 1, 2010 (Invitedtalk).
- Fifth Seeheim Conference on Magnetism, Frankfurt, Germany, September 29-October 3, 2013(Invited talk).