Student Orientation Notes
- Copyright infringement (illegal downloads.)
- Cracking – Unauthorized access of UTSI Resources
- Scanning UTSI Network
- Promulgating/Instigating Virii/Trojans/Adware
- Downloading (or offering for download) copyrighted materials
- Shared drives – especially unprotected
The Big Do
- Read the University of Tennessee Acceptable Use Policy.
- Updates (OS & Software Security Updates should be applied regularly.
(Ex. – IE Explorer -> Tools -> Windows Update)
- Have an up to date Anti-Virus Program –
Currently, Faculty and Staff use MS Forefront – Students are encouraged to use the free version of Windows Security Essentials.
What We Do For You
- Email account – 5000MB quota with warning at 4500 mb
An alternative is to sign up for a VolMail account at UTK and have your UTSI account forwarded there.
- Library Lab access –
login info is posted in the lab area. Let us know if there’s software you need (for work – within reason)
- Laptop, projector, and digital camera can be checked out from Computer Services for student use. (Use the form on the Service Requests page to reserve eqipment.)
- Assist troubleshooting problems with your personal computer equipment. Free, but no guarantees.
Explanation of User Accounts
- NetID – This is a Knoxville (UTK) based account. All faculty, Staff, and Students have a NetID account. It is used to register for classes, access Blackboard, library journals – most anything associated with Knoxville based resources. You also have an email account associated with NetID (email@example.com). More information about VolMail.
- UTSI Account – Used to access UTSI email and login to Windows domain PCs. Please request your UTSI account information at http://www.utsi.edu/index.php/new-user-account/